Summer’s here so that’s my excuse as to why I haven’t been blogging as often. 🙂 But that doesn’t mean I’ve been idle, oh no! I thought I’d write a quick post to update those interested about some of the new stops I’m encountering or will encounter in the upcoming months.
1) I’ve joined a local writing group! This is something I’ve been wanting to do for a long time. Since I got serious about writing, most of my learning and support has come from friends and contacts online. I am extremely thankful and grateful to every one of them, as I wouldn’t be where I am today without them. However, we all know that writing can be a lonely experience and I have been missing the human contact part. When I met Su Sokol (see her interview here) and she invited me to visit one of her writing groups, I had to agree. I went to my first meeting a few weeks ago and it was great. Human contact! Smiles! Discussions about writing! Wow! I can’t wait for the next one. I’ll keep you posted on that development.
2) I joined a writing association. I’m not sure how this will benefit me, yet. Membership includes discounts at local bookstores, writing workshops and events and access to their programs, like mentor-ships. But I admit I’m a little concerned about running into a ‘clique’ mentality, or being made to feel like less of a writer because I’m not a ‘literary’ writer, which seems to be their thing. But that might just be my own insecurities popping up so I’ll keep an open mind. I’ll also let you know how this goes.
3) I might host a table at a writing convention. Yes, you heard right! A friend mentioned this possibility to me, and I decided that if I could I would try it. I’ve never even done a reading or a signing! But I figure, when the opportunity presents itself why not give it a shot? Luckily, I’d be hosting with at least one other person I know so I won’t be lonely. I’ll let you know how this turns out—if it does. The convention is slated for October.
4) I’m writing new stuff. As some of you might have noticed from an earlier post, I’ve branched out of my usual form of fantasy for something new. I’ve always wanted to explore sci-fi oriented material but was afraid of it at the same time. I love science but just didn’t think I could blend it believably into a story, especially enough to satisfy the science mavens out there. Ahem! But I decided to stop worrying about what other people would think and just wrote to satisfy myself and so The Cloud-Gatherer’s Tears was born. You can read a little about it and an excerpt here. The first draft of the novella is complete so now it’s time to edit. My original plan was to self-publish it since it’s a small project and I’d like it ready to present should I go to the convention in October. But we’ll see. Maybe I’ll look into querying as well.
5) I was asked to guest blog for someone’s writing blog. How exciting! You know, when you blog about your thoughts and experiences, you never really know what people think. I check my stats regularly and know that more people read my posts than actually comment and I think, all those people who never commented, what was their opinion? Anyway, to be asked to write for someone else is wonderful because it confirms that at least 1 person out there thinks that what I have to say is worth sharing, lol Now, to think of something to write about…
6) I’m working on a business card and promo pack. Because of these new networking activities (i.e. the writing association and their affiliated networking activities) I’ve decided it’s time to have something professional-looking made up. So, business cards are in the design stage and then I’ll look at posters and bookmarks to support the books I’ve already got on consignment in bookstores. This is something I should have had done a long time ago, but better late than never, as they say. I’m excited to unveil the final results, which should be soon. 🙂
So there you have it, friends. Summer’s here but I’m still trucking ahead. What are you up to? What are your summer projects and how are they coming along?